385 m, 845 residents, 2.478 ha
Surrounded by the Üß and Alf brooks, the municipality of Hontheim, with local centres Wispelt, Krinkhof and Bonsbeuern, lies at the edge of the Kondelwald, on a 420-m-high plateau in the southern Vulkaneifel.
It is a vast landscape, alternating between open meadows and woodlands, bordered on the south by the Kondelwald with its extensive forests and fauna, in the north-east and west by the romantic valleys of the Üß and Alf brooks, and in the north-west as part of the ancient Vulkaneifel and their maars.
approx. 2,000 ha of woodland and approx. 70 km of forest and hiking tracks, the
municipality of Hontheim offers those seeking rest and recreation all the
elements of an unforgettable holiday.
highway 421 runs through the town, while the A1 runs in the west. When arriving
be train on the Trier-Koblenz railway, visitors should get off at the
Ürzig-Bahnhof or Wittlich HBF stops.
The state health resort of Bad Bertrich, situated just 3 km away, is Germany’s only Glauber’s salt thermal spring, and features a wide range of health retreats.
Pleasantly warm with a temperature of 32°C, the spring has been bubbling out the medicinal water rich in minerals from the depths of the Vulkaneifel for 2000 years.
A gift from the volcanism which shaped the entire region around 15,000 years ago.
The medicinal successes of the Bad Bertrich thermal springs in the tributary valley near Hontheim are recognised – either as spa therapy or a drinking regime.
With its natural warmth of 32°C, Germany’s only Glauber’s salt thermal spring has a positive effect on the entire musculoskeletal system and internal organs, and is considered one of the tried-and-tested methods of both active and passive exercise therapy.
The first historic record of the municipality of Hontheim is its Entersburg.
It was first officially mentioned in 1138.
In 1143, Springiersbach Monastery received a “Rente” (monetary payment or contribution in the form of grain, wine etc.) from Hundheim.
In 1193, Emperor Henry IV declared his Hundheim properties in Springiersbach Abbey’s records, dated 28/4/1193; Hontheim was first mentioned in the register of archiepiscopal rights around 1220.
In 1325, several noblemen took their goods and rights to Hontheim, in the fiefdom of King John of Bohemia.
Peter, Reeve of Carden, sold his properties in Hontheim and Krinkhof to Archbishop Balduin in 1346.
In 1366, Archbishop Kuno II authorised a compromise agreement between the Marienburg convent and the municipalities of Hontheim, Wispelt and Krinkhof for the grazing rights of the monasterial Bonsbeuern.
Hontheim came under French rule in 1794, and was assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia at the Congress of Vienna in 1815.
It has been part of Rhineland-Palatinate since this state’s establishment in 1946.