150 m, 808 residents, 2,747 ha.
At the end of the "Wittlicher Senke", sprawling on both sides of the Alfbach between the Moselle hills in the south and the Eifel Mountains in the north, is the holiday resort of Bengel, with its local centres Springiersbach and Neidhof.
Bengel can be easily accessed via the A1, B49, and the Trier-Koblenz train line.
Bengel has its own train stop on the outskirts of the town.
Just a few minutes from Bengel, at the edge of the Kondelwald, is the Springiersbach Carmelite monastery.
Springiersbach Monastery, an historic "treasure" of Bengel, was founded in 1102 by the Augustinians. It has been a Carmelite convent since 1922. The rococo church is famous well beyond the district borders as a venue for classical music concerts.
A well signposted network of cycling and hiking trails is ideal for engaging in open-air sporting activities.
Spectacular hiking tracks through the rich flora and fauna of the neighbouring Kondelwald (2,500 ha) are perfect for long, relaxing hikes, e.g. to the state health resort of Bad Bertrich and the winegrowing towns along the Moselle, such as Kinheim, Kröv and Reil.
An extensive network of cycling tracks leads through the Alftal Valley to the district town of Wittlich 15 km away.
From here, visitors can take the special cyclists’ bus (Radlerbus) to Daun/Eifel and then ride back to the Alftal Valley along the famous Maare-Moselradweg track, created on an abandoned railway line. Information on the route and bus departure times can be found [here]
Just 6 km away is the winegrowing and Moselle town of Reil, whose many traditional seasonal wine stores and wide range of dining options are the perfect places to stop for a bite to eat.
From Reil, a signposted cycling track heads along the Moselle, far from any traffic, to the next historic town of Zell.
Making a detour through the Marienburg vineyards and the 18-m-high "Prinzenkopf" viewing tower, from where you can see the Moselle four times, will leave you with many lasting memories.
Fishing enthusiasts can try their luck at the local Springiersbach fire water pond.
Anglers can really take time out from everyday life and simply unwind at the Müllenweiher, a tranquil oasis in the middle of the Kröv forest.
Fishing licences can be obtained from the ED service station in Bengel.
Fishing licences for the Moselle can be obtained in Reil, Kinheim and Kröv.
Fish species found in the Moselle are: eel, barbel, perch, bream, chub, trout, pike, carp, nase, tench, catfish and pike-perch.
So all that’s left to say is: Happy fishing!
On the idyllic banks of the Alf River, in Springiersbach in the municipality of Bengel, visitors will be able to admire the historic mills of Springiersbach, an oil mill, and a flour mill.
The town name Bengel was first officially mentioned as Baingnuil in 1144, when King Conrad III took Springiersbach Monastery under his protection and established its rights and possessions .
Bengel Bagmuel was mentioned in the ratification document issued by Emperor Frederick I (Barbarossa) in 1193.
Bengel was part of the "Cröver Reich" until the end of the 18th century.
The occupation of the Rhine’s left bank by French revolutionary troops saw the town of Bengel come under French rule in 1794, forming part of the Sarre department from 1798 to 1814.
Springiersbach Monastery and church were secularised in 1802.
In order to save the Springiersbach church (built in 1769) from demolition, the Bishop of Trier, Charles Mannay, raised it to the status of Bengel parish church.
Following the decisions made at the Congress of Vienna, the Rhineland, and therefore the town of Bengel, were assigned to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815.
Under Prussian administration, the Trier government district was allocated to the Lower Rhine province, and the district of Wittlich was formed in 1816.
Bengel became the headquarters of a mayor’s office, which also governed the municipalities of Hontheim, Kinderbeuern and Reil.
The municipality of Bengel has been part of Rhineland-Palatinate since this state’s establishment in 1946.
Hydro power was later used to operate a circular saw, in order to make the mill less dependent on seasons through the sale of firewood, since the raw material was only ever available in winter.
Anyone wanting to see the oil mills, and soon also the grain mill, in action is advised to book a tour in advance.
Contact the Mittelmosel-Kondelwald Tourist Information Office / Tel. +49 (0) 6541 - 708 111